Construction of the complex of this thermal power plant was realized in several stages in the period between 1959 and 1978. Generation of electricity began in 1963 with the commissioning of Unit 1 with 32 MW capacity.
Installed capacity - 723 MW (without units of 32 MW)
Average annual generation of electricity - around 3100 GWh
Annual coal consumption - about 3.3 million tons of coal
Construction of the complex of this thermal power plant was realized in several stages in the period between 1959 and 1978. Generation of electricity began in 1963 with the commissioning of Unit 1 with 32 MW capacity. Increase in installed capacity in TPP “Tuzla” came with the construction and commissioning of the following generation units:
- 1964 Unit 2 (32 MW)
- 1966 Unit 3 (100 MW)
- 1971 Unit 4 (200 MW)
- 1974 Unit 5 (200 MW)
- 1978 Unit 6 (215 MW)
Units 1 and 2 were permanently decommissioned, and electricity is now produced in TPP Tuzla in thermal power Units 3, 4, 5 and 6
The following activities were performed during the postwar period:
- Rehabilitation and modernization of Unit 3 (100 MW) and Unit 4 (200 MW)
- Revitalization of Unit 5 (200 MW)
- Revitalization and increasing of the capacity of Unit 6 to 223 MW
The realization of these investments achieved significant technological, environmental and economic effects. Electrostatic precipitators were replaced decreasing the dust emission per Unit to the level of European standards. The replacement of automation, reconstruction and modernization of boiler facilities and rehabilitation of power facilities extended the lifetime of Units for additional 15 years and significantly increased plant reliability.
In addition to the generation of electricity for the EES, TPP “Tuzla” also produces and supplies:
- Thermal energy for district heating of the towns of Tuzla and Lukavac
- Steam for the industry and
- Industrial water for immediate environment.
Generation facilities of the Thermal Power Plant “Tuzla” are designed to work with the coal from the coal basin Kreka - Banovići, which is the largest coal basin in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and has significant geological reserves of lignite and brown coal, which enable reliable and long-term quality supply of coal for thermal power plant.