TPP Kakanj

The construction of thermal power plant was carried out in stages, in the period between 1947 and 1988. Generation of electricity began in 1956 with the commissioning of Units 1 and 2.

Installed capacity - 450 MW (without 32 MW units)
Annual generation of electricity – about 2300 GWh
Annual coal consumption - about 1.8 million tons.

The construction of thermal power plant was carried out in stages, in the period between 1947 and 1988. Generation of electricity began in 1956 with the commissioning of Units 1 and 2 and increased successively with the commissioning of Units 3 and 4 in 1960, Unit 5 in 1969, Unit 6 in 1977, and Unit 7 in 1988.

Units 1, 2, 3 and 4 were decommissioned and now generation of electricity in “Kakanj” is done using thermal Units 5, 6 and 7

The following activities were performed during the postwar period:

  • Reconstruction and modernization of Units 5 and 6 (110 MW),
  • Partial reconstruction of Unit 7 (230 MW) and the cooling system of Units 5 and 6 - the transition from the semi-open to closed cooling system.

The realization of these investments increased the productive lifetime for 15 years, improved operational readiness, increased level of useful activity and reduced emissions of pollutants.

Beside the generation of electricity TPP “Kakanj” produces and delivers thermal energy for district heating of Kakanj and additionally supplies slag and ash to the cement factory “Kakanj”.

TPP “Kakanj” is located on the left bank of the river Bosna, five kilometers upstream of Kakanj, in Central Bosnia coal basin, which has significant geological reserves of brown coal.

For more information see - www.tekakanj.ba